1. ONLY Canadian and American passenger cars or station wagons with minimum wheelbase of 112" are allowed. Cameros are not allowed. Only full frame cars may compete. Check wheelbase with Head Tech BEFORE building you car. Any two or four door hardtop without a driver’s post extending to the roof MUST have a minimum of a 2"x 3/8 flat bar bolted to the outside top of the driver’s upright extending down to the driver’s door bar and bolted or welded securely (minimum ½"bolts). ALL vehicles MUST have minimum ground clearance of 4". The frame of your vehicle may not be any lower than 4"above the ground at the LOWEST point.
2. (a) ALL glass, plastic, ornaments, horns, chrome trim, lights and bulbs MUST be removed. Vehicle MUST be clean of loose objects and glass.
(b) Stock windshield, Lexan or maximum 1" expanded metal or wire mesh replacement allowed. It must extend from driver’s side upright post to past center of windshield opening. Driver MUST wear full face shield helmet. (Functional wipers are recommended for stock windshields or Lexan.)
3. (a) Remove ALL combustible material from the interior
(b) Driver’s door panel MUST be retained or sufficiently padded. Stock upper and lower door hinges must NOT be removed unless you have a full roll cage.
(c) A single driver’s seat is mandatory. Seat MUST be a domestic high-back bucket WITHOUT adjustable head rest and must be securely bolted to the floor. No import, plastic or fiberglass seats allowed. Exception : if an aluminum racing seat is used, it MUST be properly framed and mounted, and must have a Tech-approved head rest.
4. (a) ALL cars MUST have approved safety netting in the driver’s window. Window nets must release downward from the inside top of driver’s window and spring or metal seat belt clip mounted inside car. Minimum 3/8"steel round stock rod with hose clamps top and bottom. Trunk torsion rods are suggested.
15. Driver and passenger door MUST be reinforced with steel bars.
(a) Door BARS:
1. Either channel iron, box steel or I-beam ONLY ---- NO ANGLE IRON!!!
2. 8" or 10" I-beam preferred, minimum thickness ¼".
3. Door bar to be 8" high MINIMUM on driver’s door.
4. Door bar to be 6" high MINIMUM on passenger’s door.
5. Maximum 5"protrusion from other door skins.
6. Minimum length 5’ (5 feet) ---cannot extend into or over wheel well openings.)
7. Door bar MUST extend 6"minimum in front of and behind door (Corners MUST be rounded or beveled.)
8. Door bar MUST be on the outside of the vehicle (both sides).
9. You may use two bars to attain 8" in height, ONLY if they are continuously welded together.
10. Door bars MUST be mounted level to the ground.
11. Additional bars may be required for safety by Tech.
12. REMEMBER: If your door bar falls down or off, YOU ARE OUT!!
(b) DOOR BAR bolts:
1. Bolted through the entire door/fender (not just the outer skin)
2. Suitable size washers on door bar bolts.
3. A minimum of 4 bolts (5/8 inch MINIMUM diameter) are required to hold your door bar.
4. Front bolt is to go through front fender and foot box, second bolt in the door 6 inches from the front edge, third bolt near the rear edge of the door and the fourth bolt bolted through the rear door or quarter panel.
5. All vehicles MUST have a cross brace extending across interior directly behind driver, and MUST be bolted through both outside door bars by interior flanges.
6. ROLL CAGE
(a) MUST have two uprights connected (welded) together with one cross pipe, directly behind the driver (which MUST be padded where driver’s head can touch) and one beside the driver in the passenger seat area.
(b) Each upright MUST be back-braced by MINIMUM 2inch O.D. (1/8 inch min wall) pipe, within 6 inch of the roof, and attached by metal flanges (minimum 6"square) and two bolts (minimum ½" diameter) to the floor within the interior compartment. Back braces may be welded to the frame in front of the rear kick-ups.
(c) Minimum 3 inch x 1/8 inch upright pipe behind the driver. Minimum 2 inch x 1/8 inch for all other applications. Drill ½ inch inspection holes in each main upright pipe.
(d) Both uprights MUST have steel flanges welded on top and bottom (minimum 6 inches square) held on to the roof and the floor with a minimum ½" diameter) on each end with equivalent size washers.
(e) Minimum 2 inch x 1/8 inch steel pipe dash bar MUST be installed ABOUT steering column. Steering column MUST be chained securely to the dash bar
(f) Rusted floorboards, where uprights and back braces attach, MUST be repaired with equivalent gauge sheet metal. (Minimum, Tech discretion as to thickness.)
(g) A Tech-approved four-point roll cage is permitted. If you weld your cage to the frame, it must be ahead of where the frame starts to kick-up over the axle. If cage is bolted, it must be bolted to the rear fire wall. (Diagrams on page 20) Door bars MUST be bolted to the four-point roll cage.
(h) All welds MUST be proper and all cages must be stamped.
8. A 1/8"x 2"metal bar MUST be bolted vertically in the center on the outside of the windshield.
9. A properly mounted regulation racing harness (minimum 3"lap belt and 2"shoulder belt) is mandatory. (3" lap with 3"shoulder harness recommended.) Shoulder harness should be properly mounted at shoulder level directly behind or through the driver’s seat. NO welded bolts are to be used to secure harness to upright.
10. Stock gas tank MUST be removed. Approved gas tank recommended is a metal boat tank.
(a) Metal Boat Tank:
1. Securely mounted in the trunk, under the back window ledge, with 2"x 1/8" band iron through the handle across the top. Rubber MUST be placed between the strap and the tank. TANK CANNOT MOVE.
2. A metal firewall (flash shield) must completely seal the trunk from the interior of the car.
3. All fittings MUST extend from the TOP of the Metal Boat Tank.
4. A 4" drain hole is required in the lower part of the trunk floor.
5. An angle iron or similar frame is MANDATORY around gas tank to prevent punctures, as long as it does NOT reinforce any other part of the car
6. Gas tank MUST be accessible for inspection by the way of inspection holes or an opening trunk.
(d) Fuel Cells may be run, but MUST pre-approved by Tech.
11. (a) NO electric fuel pumps may be used.
(b) Oil pressure gauge supply line MUST be steel, brass or copper ONLY. Plastic lines ARE NOT permitted.
12. All fuel lines that run inside the vehicle MUST run continuously inside a garden hose or similar protection for the whole length inside the vehicle. Transmission coolers, if used, MUST be mounted on the fire wall inside the engine compartment. Automatic transmission lines MUST be joined and DOUBLE clamped.
13.(a) ALL unnecessary holes in the firewall MUST be patched with sheet metal. Size of shifter holes will be Tech’s discretion.
(b) Engine and transmission MUST be cleaned.
14. Two holes are required in the hood (one hole above each valve cover) large enough for fire extinguisher nozzle (minimum hole size 7"x 10").
15. Battery is to be securely mounted in a Marine Battery Box or Tech-approved battery box inside the vehicle within the frame rails. The Marine Battery Box MUST be secured to the floor.
NOTE: Plastic Battery Boxes MUST pass Tech, or you DO NOT race.
16. NO cooling system other than stock is permitted. NO anti-freeze. Radiator MUST mount in stock location. Expansion tanks and electric fans are optional. All fans MUST be covered with a Tech-approved shroud. Radiator and /or fans may be removed altogether.
17. An expanded metal or wire mesh screen may be installed in front of the radiator. Screen may NOT extend beyond the frame horns. Standard angle iron along the top of the RAD support (maximum 1 ½"x 1 ½" x 1/8")
18. Trunks MUST securely chained or bolted shut (maximum four bolts, 1" maximum diameter). Trunks may not be welded.
19. Hood to be secured with up to four hood pins ( four maximum, up to 1"in diameter, REDI-rod may be used). Front two hood pins can extend through the RAD support or REDI-rod through the body mounts. All four hood pins can be attached to the frame. NO gussets or back bracing permitted. Maximum washer size for hood bolt is 4"x 6". Inner and outer hood skins may be bolted together with a maximum of eight 3/8" bolts and equivalent size washers. Wheel wells may be bolted together with a maximum of five 3/8" bolts and equivalent size washers, cut flush to nut. One ONLY replacement quarter panel or equivalent size sheet metal is allowed over top of Original (damaged) quarter panel.
20. Front and rear bumpers on all vehicles MUST have a chain welded or bolted to each frame horn and securely welded or bolted to the bumper. Bumper shocks may be welded. Bumper pinning is allowed. (Maximum 1" REDI-rod , maximum 4"back from front frame horn flange.
21. Frames must NOT be reinforced. Trailer hitch and mounting must be removed. Equivalent gauge steel may be used to repair broken frames. If body mounts are removed, the bolt MUST remain stock (7/16"). Must be Tech-approved.
23. Tires (NO racing tires, Tech discretion). 8"maximum tread width for bias ply or radial tires. Maximum 7" rim. You MAY NOT physically or chemicaly alter tires in ANY way.
24. Tie rods may be reinforced.
25. All vehicles must have four working brakes. You will be checked.
26. (a) Changing or altering springs is NOT allowed.
(b) O.E.M. or equivalent shocks ONLY. No air shocks. Shocks MUST be mounted in stock location.
(c) Rear ends MUST remain corporation to corporation as per original vehicle body. Locked rear ends are allowed.
27. Stock sway bars may be pre-loaded or heated. Sway bar may be bolted or chained to A arms.
28. Headers through the hood allowed, if traditional exhaust is used, it must extend past driver’s seat. Sound level will be monitored and must NOT exceed 95 decibels at 100 feet.
29. NO Holley carburetors permitted other than stock Holley. Any 2- or 4-barrel carburetor on any stock cast iron intake manifold. Adaptor plate, if required, is allowed. Wooden CARB. adaptors are NOT allowed. No hi-riser or similar adaptors allowed. A carburetor air cleaner or suitable flame arrestor is required, but this may NOT extend through the hood.
30. NO synthetic oil is allowed at the speedway in ANY RACE vehicle.
31. Demo Car MUST have the driver’s registered number on both sides of a roof sign, securely mounted on the roof of the vehicle. This rule will be strictly enforced. Numbers MUST be of a block lettering style, MUST be a minimum of 14"high, 2"thick and 7"wide, and must be of a contrasting color from the roof sign itself. Numbers must be able to be clearly read by the recorders or you will NOT be recorded.
31.All drivers MUST wear an approved Snell 85, or newer, type of helmet. (Snell 90 or newer recommended.) Goggles or a face shield MUST be worn/used. A full face helmet and face shield are required for all drivers using expanded metal or wire mesh for their windscreens.
33. All drivers must wear a Proban or Nomex driving suit, or Nomex coveralls.
34. Vehicles equipped with a power steering box MUST have operating power steering at all times.
35. A drive shaft hoop is required. Hoop MUST be located approximately 12"back from the front end of the drive shaft.
36. All vehicles MUST pass Tech and Safety Inspection BEFORE being permitted to enter the infield. (Tech discretion) ALL Tech decisions as to the race ability of your Demo Car (ect) are final!
37. ANY Demo Car that Tech deems to be too rusty or unsafe will NOT be allowed to run.
38. All vehicles MUST have a charged 1.87 lb (minimum) ABC Fire Extinguisher and a CURRENT rule book accessible in their pit area.